Sunday, April 17, 2011

tomorrow I get a new "peep"!


I'll never forget that feeling when I heard the nurse say, "I need to talk to you..." It was just seconds after London was born. The nurse told Kary that our baby had testicles but that there was something not right about his penis. Not only was it a blow to find out we didn't have a girl but to know that something was wrong with our new perfect little baby was scary.
They called in the urologist (Dr. Perez) to speak with us within an hour after London's birth. He assured us that everything was ok with our baby and he had a fairly common genital birth defect called Hypospadias. He assured us that it could be corrected with a pretty common procedure. He gave us his card, told us to call him in 3 months for a consult, and the surgery could be scheduled at 6 months, and told us London would be perfectly fine.
This was a relief but it was still upsetting to know that our little baby son would have to go through a surgery before even being a year. It has been hanging over our heads for the past 6 months and tomorrow is the big day...the day we can't wait to get over with.
Some people may think this is a bit too "private" (no pun intended) to share and some friends/family have even suggested we never tell him about it. But, Kary and I are an open book and we hope London will be open-minded enough to not be ashamed that he wasn't born perfect (damn-near close with those looks though) It is part of his journey, part of him...nothing to be ashamed of.
Things could be much worse and we are very grateful that is it just an external procedure that is in and out in the hospital. But we're still pretty nervous about it. I spoke with the RN on Friday and started the paperwork. She explained to me that London cannot eat 6 hours prior to surgery and that he will be given some juice containing baby tylenol and a sedative and that he'll be too groggy to stress out about being taken away from mommy and daddy to the operating room. I'm sure he'll be brave but it's me I am worried about. I have always been an emotional person but I am SUPER emotional about anything involving London. He is my everything.
So, tomorrow London will receive a whole new "peep." (just in time for Easter)...haha. Dr. Perez will unattach his penis from his scrotum, reroute his urethra and circumcise him. I am actually going to miss his cute little "nub." haha...But I am sure he would not think it was very cute when he is a teenager. We probably won't sleep much tonight but luckily London is too young to have any clue what is going to happen. But that doesn't mean he won't feel the pain or that it will be easy. Wish us all luck and keep our little guy in your thoughts...I'm sure I'll be a mess and London will surprise me with amazing strength and will probably wake up from anethstesia with a smile :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment