Saturday, August 21, 2010

svt, getting fat, returning to work...

Pregnant women have many things to worry about throughout pregnancy: Will my baby be healthy? Will I be a good parent? Will I be able to lose the weight? Will I be able to handle labor? Will I be able to afford this baby? How will my life change?...etc. I have been worrying about all these things for the past 8 months. Unfortunately, I also have to worry about my heart beating out of control for hours at a time, and the constant fear of having to gasp for breath after doing just the simplest task on a hot, humid day.
Thursday I had another svt episode. This one was as bad as the one that caused me to be hospitalized, but since we knew what it was this time and how to handle it we got through it without having to call 911. When I say we, I mean Kary and I. He is amazing. I woke him up around 6:50 Thursday morning to let him know it was happening and that I was about to pass out (this happens when my heart rate speeds up drastically) He instantly jumped out of bed and ran downstairs. He filled a bowl with ice water and grabbed towels. He soaked them and laid them on my chest and face. He kept me calm and took my heart rate. It was at about 175. I tried to stay calm but it is the most terrifying feeling to gasp for air while you're body shakes uncontrollably from an intense pounding heart beat. I could also feel the baby jumping around. I was told she is not harmed but a mother can't help but worry. I'm sure in my distress she was feeling anxious and scared too. The episode lasted about 1 hour and 35 minutes. Kary called in work and told them he'd be late. He sat with me and was the perfect combination of calm and concerned. I seriously do not know what I would do without him. I finally got a jolt to the heart about 8:25 and it returned to a normal rate. I instantly started crying when that happened...mostly out of relief but also concern. I worried about the baby, my health, and the terrible fear that this is going to continue to happen throughout my pregnancy/ life. I called my OBGYN and he said that my baby is fine and that I should consider seeing a cardiologist. I plan to see one after the baby is born, unless it happens again (I pray it won't!) I also met with my principal and we have an emergency plan in effect in case it happens at work. This helps a little with the anxiety.
Enough of that.....yesterday we had our doctor's appointment. Baby is great. Her heart rate is 135. My blood pressure is excellent and I gained a whopping 5lbs in 2 weeks....gross! I have now gained 34 pounds. My goal was between 25-30 but I guess I will just deal with it.
I returned to work Wednesday. I got lots of compliments about how good I look. Not the rude stuff I was expecting...haha. Kary helped me a ton with my classroom and it looks awesome! I got some new bookcases, brought a super comfy office chair in, and cleaned the place like crazy. It even smells like apple spice. Thank goodness Kary could help me out because I am physically not able to do 1/2 of what I normally do. My friend Loren at work helped me too. I am lucky to have him. He takes care of me when Kary can't be there. I am excited about my 5 weeks of teaching but also apprehensive that my body will not be able to handle it. I am hoping my asthma, svt, and body aches and pains will not hinder me too badly. What a relief it will be when she is born!
Kary and I picked up a few baby items this weekend. We got a contoured changing pad, a changing pad cover and some waterproof crib mattress covers. I think Kary is planning on her exploding A LOT!...which will probably happen...haha. We are sooo excited and we both just really wanna get me healthy and home with my baby. We don't have much more time now. I am ready!
Here is a super cute hat we just had to order after seeing it in a baby magazine. She'll look so cute in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment