Sunday, November 18, 2012

Izzy's Birth Story



 I woke up Thursday, November 8th slightly uncomfortable from having mild contractions all night. But nothing really kicked in to real labor which was disappointing. I was ready to get this baby show going.

I had an appointment at 11:15 and was hoping she'd tell me I was at least 3cm dilated and ready to go. Unfortunately, I was only 1cm still after 2 weeks! Ugh. Since it was my 40 week appointment the nurse hooked me up to a contraction/ baby heartbeat monitor for about 30 minutes. Kary was at work so London was with me and suffering from extreme constipation. So, as I lay there being monitored he was screaming about how he had to poop and his butt hurt which was incredibly stressful. He ended up blowing out a week's worth of poop in the patient room and then was a happy guy. Let's just say the appointment wasn't going so well.
When the doctor came in to exam me she measured my stomach and said I was smaller than I was a week earlier. She ordered a sonogram to check my fluids and said if I was lower than 5, she'd have to induce me....like....now. I didn't want the baby to be in any danger but was super psyched that maybe I could have the baby today (and freaked out) The sonogram tech confirmed that my fluid was low so the doctor called the hospital (which is across the street) and set me up to be induced today. The best part was my most favorite doctor who delivered London was on call! woohoo!
I called Kary who was in middle of a color and cut and he dropped everything and met London and I in the lobby and we headed to the hospital. I drove my own car and started to get a little freaked that it was all happening so quickly. Kary's mom met us at the hospital to get London.
waiting for grandma to come get London
waiting to be induced....pretty tweaked (and fat...ha)
my home for the next 3 or so days
Dr Rollins, the most amazing doctor, came in and got the ball rolling fast. We also had an awesome nurse who was super fun and easy going. The doc ordered her to start the pitocin quickly and even ordered my epideral before I was even in active labor. This ruled because I barely felt any contractions. So different from my experience with London. They quickly broke my water and labor had started. I was checked and only dilated to about 4cm after almost 5 hours. But, time was flying by because we were excited and I wasn't in any pain. The doctor said it could be as slow as a cm per hour, which really discouraged me. But, after about 6 hours of hanging out and only about an hour after measuring at 4cm the doctor came in and announced, "she's complete!" As soon as she said it about 5 people came rushing in and a giant bright light turned on...it was time to push! I was in no pain, which was crazy weird. The doctor had me start pushing and with the first contraction they announced that her head was showing...whaaaa???! I pushed on only 2 more contractions and out she popped. I looked down and saw her tiny little body with the umbilical cord around her neck. They quickly cut her free and she opened her eyes and let out a newborn waaaail! She was so cute that I started laughing. I was also laughing because I was completely shocked at how easy this labor was...it did not even seem real. The nurse announced that this one really was a girl and she had all her limbs and the right number of fingers and toes...she was perfect :-)
Kary carried her over to me with tears in his eyes  and she took right to nursing...she was pretty awesome right from the start.
She pooped a lot in the hospital and slept pretty well. My recovery didn't seems as bad and the nurses were amazing. We were able to take her home after only 2 days and the whole experience just seemed too good to be true. We are so lucky to be blessed with another amazing child. She fits in perfectly with our family and we couldn't love her more.
seconds after birth

I'm here!







6lbs 14oz

daddy loving her up


first bath

hi





  
London saying hello

meeting baby Izzy                         


cuddling my girl



Izabelle Alice Gaffney November 8, 2012 @ 8:36 pm 6lbs 14 oz, 20.25 in





No comments:

Post a Comment