Tuesday, September 21, 2010

hospital tour...doctor update....anxiety!!!



Reality has not set in yet that in less than 3 weeks I will have a newborn baby! We have planned for her but it all seems too surreal. We have been looking at all her clothes, toys, crib, etc for months now and it seems like she is never going to get here!
Monday was my 38 week appointment. Kary got to come along this time but will miss the next one (hair must be done) Everything looked good this week. My bacteria test came back negative (no antibiotics...yay!) I managed to not gain any more weight (yay!) My bp is good and still no swelling (yay again!) The baby's heartbeat was 137. The doctor I saw this time was the same one I see often and I'm really starting to like him because he knows what he is doing. He pressed on my belly and felt her head. He also squished and squeezed her and said he predicts she will be between 7 1/2-8lbs. yikes! That is pretty big. He checked for dilation...nope. She still has not dropped either. He said her head is down but she is still pretty high. This is ok but if still no progress next week I am going to get ansy. I don't want her to be late. I want as much time with her (on the outside) as possible before returning to work. The doctor said he'll let me go as much as a week over...not too thrilled about that one. But, I guess she'll come when she's ready.
After our appointment we had a few hours to kill before our tour of the hospital (same building as doctor) so we ate at panera (yum) and stopped at old navy and got me some pajama pants and 2 pairs of pajamas for Lou Lou.
We got to the tour about 20 minutes early. We were the first couple and Kary was teasing me that I got the location/ time wrong again. Soon some more people showed up. They all seemed quite a big older than us. They looked about 40 or so...weird. Anyways, the nurse came and she walked us to the elevators and we made our way up to the maternity floor. She showed us the family waiting room, nursery (empty...most babies stay with their moms in the room), fridge, outside of operating room and NICU. Everyone on the tour was super quiet which made it awkward..haha. Then we all piled into the hospital room where all the shit goes down. They are very nice and big. I had already seen one when Lynn had her baby. The rooms have a cd player, tv, fridge, wifi, giant windows, nice little window seat/bed for dad....and a bed...that dreadful bed...with stirrups lurking below ready to hold me during the most traumatic gross experience I will have thus far. The nurse took it apart and showed us how it raises for various positions and then I saw it...the red bag...the bag the nurse referred to as the "waste" bag. All I could think about was pooping in that bag...haha...that has been a fear of mine but I think at that point I will not care..haha. Then the nurse held up panties we have to wear and giant pads with an ice pack holder...scary!! I accidentally voiced my comments a bit too loud getting a shush from Kary and then we both would crack up. Then we went around the room and said our due dates. Some women who were way larger than me had November due dates...they seemed surprised at how close I was. There was a lady who was a few days ahead of me and she was bigger too. I guess I can't complain that I am not HUGE....yet...haha.
My work shower is Thursday so I'll update again after that....more presents....yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment